I was pretty amped when it was reported that The Academy wanted Jimmy Fallon to host the Oscars. Sure, he’s safe and laughs at his own jokes. But he can also be pretty damned hilarious. Alas, he does not want to do it.
He told Matt Lauer on Today:
“I’m not gonna do the Oscars. I was honored to be asked by the Academy, but it’s not my year.”
Damnit Jimmy, what do you mean it’s not your year? Here are some possible reasons he couldn’t do it.
- NBC didn’t want their Late Night host on a rival network (ABC).
- ABC didn’t want a rival host on their network.
- Fallon doesn’t think he’s ready.
- Fallon has other commitments in February 2013.
- Not enough money.
- The Academy has a no-laughing-at-your-own-jokes policy that Fallon couldn’t agree to.
Why do you think Fallon pulled himself out? [The Wrap]